- About us
- Current Activities
- Protecting the Rights of Migrants through the UN System
- Promoting Migrants Voices through International Migrants Day
Promoting Migrants Voices through International Migrants Day
Now, more than ever, International Migrants Day offers an opportunity to strengthen international solidarity and to make migrants’ voices heard across the world. IMD aims to put the issues that are of key interest to migrants and their communities (those they live in and those they leave behind) on the agenda, highlight the challenges they encounter and celebrate their achievements.
In many countries, diversity in the media and representation/participation of migrants in the mainstream national media (and the public sphere) remains problematic. Too often, political parties and the popular media portray migrant workers and their families in a negative way. The language and images used focus on the threat to the security and cultural identity of the “host” societies. There is fragmented information regarding the situations faced by migrants as well as their contributions to sending and receiving countries alike. Citizens and local and state officials need to understand that integration can only be successful and strengthen social cohesion if migrants are granted full access to their human rights.
Migrants’ voices should be part and parcel of the mainstream media, both in messages and as messengers.
- (2002) Partnered with OneWorld Spain for the creation of an IMD Platform in Catalonia (Spain)
- (2003) Established IMD Platform Vlaanderen (Belgium)
- (2006) Launch of Radio 1812, the first-ever global radio marathon to celebrate International Migrants Day. In 2008, 175 radio stations from 48 countries took part in this event.
- (2006) Interviews with former UN High Commissioners for Human Rights Louise Arbour and Mary Robinson.
- (2008) First series of audio reports from the Philippines (Global Fourm on Migration and Development) and Spain (World Social Forum on Migration).
Conectate a Radio 1812 el Día Internacional del Migrante
- Extranjeros en Rumania
- Radio Solidaria Amigra: Programa par el 18 diciembre
- Inmigrantes y emigrantes: compartiendo el mismo mundo imperfecto
- El impacto de la crisis economica en la migración internacional
- Trabajadores agrícolas en Columbia Británica, el reto sindical
- Bosque del Rio
- Ocupar los centros de detencion
- Destituyen a poderoso anti-immigrante
- Relatora urge a Tailandia a combatir la trata de personas
Convención de ONU sobre los trabajadores migrantes
Situación al 31.05.2012
Para ver la lista completa haga, click aquí